Zulu 23 - Cooking

isiZulu is one of the languages spoken in South Africa.

I understand there are film stars who don’t eat cooked food.  They are more lettuce and nuts creatures.  Does this mean they don’t have stoves and microwaves in their beautiful mansions and holiday homes?  Donate them to me.

Cooking is called uku-pheka in Zulu.  It is pronounced as in ‘pet’. 

ZULU
ENGLISH
Wenzani?
What are you doing?
Ngiyapheka.
I’m cooking.
Uphekani?
What are you cooking?
Ngipheka ithanga.
I’m cooking pumpkin.
Uzopheka nini?
When will you cook?
Uphekela bani?
Who are you cooking for?
Ngiphekela ugogo.
I’m cooking for my grandmother.
Phekela izingane.
Cook for the children.

SAMPLE CONVERSATION
YOU:  Wenzani?

ME:  Ngiyapheka.

YOU:  Uphekela bani?

ME:  Ngiphekela izingane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners