Zulu 29 - Pay Up

Viola Desmond, first black Canadian woman
on paper money.

'Khokha’, pay up.  That’s that.  Don’t avoid my phone calls because you owe me money.  Don’t tell kids to say you are not at home because they’ll say, ”Daddy said we should say he’s not home.”


'khokha' as in cocky and cocktail.

ZULU
ENGLISH
Khokha ndoda.
Pay up man.
Khokha.  Ngifuna imali yam’.
Pay up.  I want my money.
Ngikhokha malini?
How much do I pay?
Khokha la.
Pay here.
Sengikhokhile.
I have paid.
Bazokhokha kusasa.
They’ll pay tomorrow.
Kuyakhokhwa.
It is a paid event.  There is a fee.
Anginayo imali.
I don’t have money.
Ngizokukhokhela.
I will pay for you.
Umama akanayo imali.
Ma doesn’t have money.
Ngizomkhokhela.
I’ll pay for her.
Abanawo amathikithi.
They don’t have tickets.
Abakhokhanga.
They did not pay.

Exercise:  Get a partner and make your own sample conversation.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners