Visiting in Zulu

Vakasha is visiting. 

In the olden days, when amaZulu lived on their land, visitors were welcomed.   They just showed up and were given royal treatment because it was a great honour to have them.  Don’t do it now in the year 2017.  Please call first to avoid embarrassment. 


The first part of va-ka-sha is pronounced as in valve, the middle part as in Karan, an Indian boy’s name,  and the last part as in shut.

Zulu
English
Baya thanda uku vakasha.
They like visiting.
Ngi vakashele.
Visit me.
Ngizo vakashele ubaba.
I will visit my father.
Ngizo vakashela umama.
I will visit my mother.
Ngizo vakashela udadewethu.
I will visit my sister.
Uzongi vakashela nini?
When will you visit me?
U-Shane uvakashele u-Iris.
Shane is visiting Iris.
U-Lindi uvakashele u-Pedro.
Lindi is visiting Pedro.
U-Malini uvakashele u-Sanjay e-London.
Malini is visiting Sanjay in London.

Nonqaba waka Msimang is the author of the South African novel, Sweetness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Organic Brussels Sprouts