Don't Let The Food Label Fool You

Photo:  Nonqaba waka Msimang
Food label claims. Eggs sold as grain fed.  Are they?

I can vouch for them because I grew up eating eggs at my grandmother’s farm.  The egg yolk is sunflower yellow, not opaque yellow like most mass-produced eggs.  Otherwise, I have no way of verifying food label claims.
How would I know that a pizza dough for the ‘bring your own dough’ party is organic or vegan?  My bad!  I must explain. You bring the dough and the host supplies the toppings. 

Nutrients?  I don’t know them.  Bad guys like calories are Spanish to me.  I wouldn’t recognise a calorie even if it was staring me in the face.  What is gluten or who is gluten?  I ought to know because it is all there online, but I’m usually too hungry to Google food before I eat.  I try to read labels but they are scientific.  I only learnt recently that sodium is salt. 
Maybe I should because it affects the pocket.  Alternative food or products that are not mass produced tend to be a few dollars more.  The eggs in the pic are three dollars more than the superstore ones.  Olive oil costs more, but is it authentic extra virgin olive oil as the label claims?  I don’t have the expertise to verify what is on the label.  I should ask, because some bottled (plastic) water is just tap water in a bottle.

I’m all for a healthy lifestyle, but I’m one of millions of people around the world who are just happy to have something to eat.  Period.
By:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Organic Brussels Sprouts