Britain The Stiff Upper Lip

Eaton College, boys' school in England.

Britain used to be a brand, like products in your bathroom and kitchen cupboards.
  Made in Britain was regarded as quality.  Nowadays, practically all British fashion designers make clothes in China and other Asian countries.  Britain as a brand had certain defining traits.  One of them is the stiff upper lip.

I looked for it when I found myself in that country.  I went to the market and people selling fruits and vegetables called me ‘luv’.  I dived into butcheries for some meat and men in long white aprons called me ‘luv.’  

I got hooked on the Friday fish and chips ritual and people behind the counter called me ‘luv’.  Cleaning ladies on campus called me ‘luv’.  During the summer, I joined the throngs for the Notting Hill carnival and revelers called me ‘luv.’
It took some time to get used to all the loving because I could barely understand the way they speak English.  Apparently, the accent in the land of the queen is a verbal business card, that tells people you grew up in Birmingham, your parents were plumbers or accountants, you went to working class or public schools, the lot.

Why do they call private schools, public schools?  Never mind. I found the British stiff upper lip eventually.  It was in public schools where lecturers used my name, not luv.
Therefore, I came to the conclusion that the stiff upper lip is based on the class system.  It belongs to people who speak English in a certain way, like Prince Harry and Prince William.  The stiff upper lip has a twin sister phrase: The Queen is not amused. 

By:  Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners